You might ask if a simple engagement ring is just another way of saying cheaper ring, but that’s not strictly true. As much thought and skill go into the design and creation of a simple ring as a more intricate ring. Because simple engagement rings don’t have a lot of accent stones and nuances of design, they are naturally less expensive. It doesn’t make them any less of a ring.
Think of a solitaire diamond of a weighty carat size in a plain four-prong setting. It sparkles with fire and radiance. It is a simple ring, but no one can deny its beauty. Quite often, you need to disregard any preconceptions about rings that you might have picked up through the movies or from the Instagram accounts of the world’s most rich celebrities. At the end of the day, a diamond engagement ring is still a beautiful thing, whether it is covered with gemstones, platinum, or yellow gold.
When it comes to something as personal as proposing marriage to the person that you love more than anyone else in the world, it doesn’t need to come down to whether to not you think that rose gold is better than a gold band, or whether a halo engagement ring is more elegant than a solitaire engagement ring.
The truth is that when presented with love and with the promise of living happily ever after, engagement ring styles that are deemed to be more on the ‘simple’ side can be just as beautiful and treasured on the finger of a fiancee as any multi-million dollar wedding ring or classic engagement ring that you might have seen before.
With all of this in mind, let’s take a closer look at what exactly makes an engagement ring more ‘simple’ than others, followed by the unheralded advantages of such engagement ring settings, how to choose the best eternity band for your needs, and finally some examples of perfect kinds of popular choice, trendy rings that we are talking about.
What Makes an Engagement Ring Simple?
Essentially, when somebody refers to an engagement ring as being ‘simple,’ they are most likely talking about two specific elements. These are the ring’s bezel setting and the carat weight of its diamond shape.
In terms of bezel settings, you will find that a simple ring will be much more in the style of something like art deco, opting for a more minimalist approach with a simple band and setting that doesn’t feature things like side stones. If your prospective fiancee is somebody who prefers the minimalist thought of design, then this is perfect! The perceived ‘simpleness’ of traditional standards won’t matter to them at all.
In the United States, the average carat weight for an engagement ring is somewhere in the region of one carat. This is higher than the United Kingdom, which is 0.6 carats, and in wider Europe, it is even smaller at 0.5. What this shows to us is that whether or not your princess cut or brilliant cut diamond is one carat or even half that, there are different standards around the world, and smaller diamonds are absolutely fine!
Advantages of a Simple Engagement Ring
So, now that you know that simple, unique engagement rings are just as valued and loved as huge, diamond-filled gold engagement rings, here are some further advantages of having such a ring on your finger, or the finger of your fiancee.
- The more simple the cut stone is, the easier it will be to match the engagement ring to a wedding band. At the end of the day, the wedding ring is the ring that potentially means the most, and you don’t want something that is potentially going to overshadow it.
- Picking a ring without so many adornments from a jeweler means that you can better show off the center stone that you eventually choose. Something like a small emerald-cut diamond does not need the extra bells and whistles, and the same can be said for any kind of round cut diamond or halo diamond.
- It is important to remember that simplicity doesn’t always mean budget, but there is no doubt that you can save some money if you opt for a more minimalist piece of jewelry. Engagement ring trends change like the what hat was popular and expensive one year could be the complete opposite the next. In that sense, it is always better to stick with a modest channel setting and classic solitaire vibe that you know is never going to go out of style.
- Because they don’t contain as many intricate design elements and accent stones, simple engagement rings can be less expensive than more extravagant creations. Overall. the price of the ring is always going to be largely based on the carat weight of the center stone, and the overall quality of the finished piece.
How to Choose an Engagement Ring
Here is an easy-to-follow guide on how to best choose an engagement ring.
- Narrow down the shape that you want, so that you can go into a jeweler knowing whether you want a cushion-cut, or brilliant cut, a princess cut, etc.
- Choose what kind of metal you want the band to be made out of. This is a very personal decision, as the contenders such as platinum, yellow gold, white gold, etc. are all as great as one another.
- Start the process with a carat size already in mind, because this will help when it comes to budgeting.
- Make sure to get your finger, or the finger of your partner, measured correctly before buying, as this will save a lot of adjustment hassle in the future.
- Take the time to consider what the engagement ring is going to look like worn next to the wedding band. You want them to be complementary friends rather than clashing enemies!
- Always, ALWAYS buy from a certified dealer. You don’t want to find out a year down the line that your ‘authentic’ baguette diamonds are, in fact, just as valuable as bread baguettes!
- Make sure that you get all of the correct certificates, and that those certificates do match the ring that you are buying.
- Be intelligent and shrewd when it comes to things like cut and clarity. Don’t settle for diamonds with imperfections when you don’t have to, and on the other end of the spectrum, don’t be afraid to buy a slightly lower grade diamond if you cannot tell the difference!
Simple Engagement Rings from Just Desi
With all of this newfound knowledge in place, here is a handful of simple engagement rings from Just Desi that we think perfectly fit the bill when it comes to buying a ring with a center diamond that, whilst being on the more minimalist side of things, still packs one hell of a style and elegance punch!
With a choice of yellow gold, white gold, or rose gold for the band, this is a beautiful example of how smaller stones can make just as much of an impact on the finger.
This amazing ring contains 5 stones yet still manages to evoke a minimalist vibe. The neatness of the cut and the way that the stones match the band in width are simple but stunning.
If you want to pack as many stones as possible into a ring that still feels more on the simplistic side, then this classic halo band is ideal. Seven sparkling stones reach across almost half of the band, packing a lot of punch.
If you prefer smaller diamonds, then why not have a double row of them on your ring!? The delicate lines of small diamonds create almost a disco ball effect of sparkle on the finger. The streamlined nature of this ring in particular would look perfect alongside any wedding band.
Okay, so we are starting to get away from some of the more minimalist designs, but there is still something simple about this cluster ring. The symmetry of the stones in their setting is clean and classic.
As you can see, when it comes to engagement rings, simply doesn’t mean you have to settle for less. There is great beauty to be found in great simplicity. The most important thing is that you love the ring as much as the person giving it to you! Felicitations for your nuptials from Just Desi.